The digital transformation of media
a digital upheaval
The media and entertainment industry is in the throes of a digital upheavalthat seems to gain momentum with each passing day as emerging technologies change the way media is produced, delivered and consumed. The marketplace has become fickle and impatient. Companies that fail to innovate, or stumble pushing out new offerings, will find themselves punished by consumers who just move on. Media technology leaders are leaning into agile development methodologies and cloud-based solutions as they push to innovate and maintain a competitive advantage. Only a few of the key disruptions that figure prominently in the digital transformation of media include:
- On demand, streaming video gives consumers more choice and new empowerment to choose not only what they consume but when they consume it.
- Advertising is getting more targeted and more sophisticated, backed by big data and machine learning.
- Technology is creating entirely new entertainment products and services. Video games are the fastest growing sector. Gaming as a digital service and the rapid growth of e-sports are providing new revenue streams.
- News and opinion journalism are multichannel and overlapping, with traditional print and broadcast producers generating content across platforms and services.
Evolving Business Models
Despite considerable investments in technology across the industry, media, and entertainment IT leadership face daunting challenges as they work to adapt to constantly evolving business models:
- The media and entertainment IT stacks are vast, encompassing legacy mainframe systems all the way to bleeding-edge, cloud-based solutions.
- Enterprise IT is typically not unified in the industry. Operations are siloed with interoperability gaps between critical systems and data.
- Broadcasters need to be able to scale up massively and instantly to meet customer expectations and to scale down just as rapidly.
- Poor understanding and documentation of application and data dependencies makes it risky to push out innovative solutions and maintain a competitive advantage.
- Growth in low-cost digital advertising and shrink in more lucrative broadcast and print advertising constrains budgets and demands efficiency.
Crosscode understands media and entertainment IT. Our Crosscode Panoptics software brings you the depth and insights you need to deliver the reliability, innovation, and scalability you need to get on top and stay on top in these highly competitive markets:
- Know and understand all of your applications wherever they reside, from legacy code to cloud-native microservices
- Understand your application data dependencies across the entire infrastructure to drive out risks from massive scaling and rapid deployments
- Work seamlessly across distributed development teams, supporting agile methodologies, DevOps, and multiple languages
- Impact assessment to plan for and execute new development and upgrades faster and with less risk
- Automated governance to control application and database changes across the infrastructure
- Audit trail capabilities to trace every change to your system